Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 26: Olivia tells her tale

Hey Megan's Readers!


I've hi-jacked the blog in celebration of our final gym excursion of the school year. That's right, three months until I step on a treadmill or glide on an elliptical near our blogging friend. I really don't know what I'm going to do without our daily omelet ... and workout.


Megan and I both admitted to each other today that neither of us would go to the gym as frequently if it wasn't for the other one going. Seriously - I could barely drag myself out of bed for my 9:30 and 11 AM classes for most of this semester but because Megan was waiting for me at the gym I was able to get my sorry behind there everyday by 7. The logic? Class doesn't wait for me and Megan does.


So how are we going to stay motivated while apart? What's going to stop one of us from eating bags and bags of bagel chips (that's right Megan, I've told them your secret)? Well my motivation only needs two words: Shape Goal. Those two simple words are going to make all the difference. My shape goal is to actually be a little more shapeless by the end of the summer. Over the last two years of college I have found myself carrying an extra tire around my midsection that I just don't think I need - if I get a flat I'll just call AAA. My goal is to be without that tire by the next gym trip Megan and I take together.


But of course, all goals require us to step in it's general direction and that is what I did today with Megan. After a few days without exercise (curse you finals) and full of bad foods (curse you finals), Megan and I finally made our way over to the gym. We rowed for ten minutes, having learned from our first attempt that rowing and talking compliment each other perfectly and after, with sore butts and shoulders, moved to the elliptical.


The moment I began to glide I knew I wasn't in this for the long haul: my calves ached, I was sweaty, and worst of all I didn't have my iPod. Having Bonnie Tyler singing "Holding Out for a Hero" while I work on the elliptical has become a bit of requirement for me - she motivates me and focuses me on something other than the miles: Men. Nothing is better at motivating me than the thought of something masculine. And just when I was about to give up before even finishing my first quarter mile, I looked up and saw the view: Two delicious looking guys running on the treadmills before us. I managed to work through the mile even without Bonnie.


I gave up after that mile regardless of the testosterone in front of me and went over to the stationary bike. It's ridiculous how easy the bike is. Five minute miles. As I hit the first mile mark I began to muse over the easiness of this bike. It went something like this: Seriously? Why can't someone make a machine that's as effective as the elliptical but as noncommittal as the bike? And, most importantly, why can't someone make Taco Bell less appetizing or at least make it a weight loss must have? Just sayin'. Some changes need to be made.


Then we were done. Our last workout ended pretty quickly and I'm a little sad to be without this routine for the summer. I'm going to run everyday with my best friend and bike to work so that when I finally get back here Megan won't be running too many circles around me.


That's all for now kids!


Happy Summer,
Olivia


Check out a little Bonnie action (thank you '80's for the best vid ever): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_HsjpSVaI

No comments:

Post a Comment