Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 22: damn rocks

Man, today has been a really long day. My work schedule has become pretty crazy, so unfortunately, Olivia and I won't be able to continue our morning gym schedule. I'm not very happy about it, but such is life.
Today, I worked from 9 to 5 and then rushed to dinner and then met my buddies Lisa BFF and Tim at .


Although I went into the experience with an open mind and a desire to challenge myself [and maybe even a little bit of excitement!] I started to feel nervous as soon as we entered the place. This is what it looks like: ... and it doesn't even begin to do this place justice. I mean, this is one of the world's largest indoor climbing facilities. There must be millions of those little holds speckling every surface in this 100 foot tall warehouse. It's insane.
When I was in there, I felt like I was in an episode of "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids" and I was staring up at something all stuck with chewed gum. It was a strange experience.
Tim and Lisa helped harness me up and put on some rock climbing shoes. All of that shit was SO tight. My feet were aching by the time I finally took the shoes off and the harness cut right through my inner thigh fat. Awesome.
Now, Lisa used to be a rock climbing instructor and Tim is a seasoned rock climber. Both of them hiked the Appalachian Trail. My point here is that they are mega athletes and I'm Daria.
Tim was kind enough to belay me and Lisa and I started climbing a speed wall. The holds had pockets in them and were easy to grip. When I stepped onto the first holds, I was like Sweet, this is easier than I thought! And then I looked up and realized I had to somehow get my foot up to it. Not so easy anymore.
I got stuck for a few minutes, but the encouragement of my friends motivated me to hoist myself up to two more holds before I finally felt legit stuck. I couldn't fathom how my body was supposed to get to the space above me. I also didn't want to waste any more of Tim's time, when he could be out there bouldering. So I had him lower me down and I proceeded to do two miles on the elliptical and watch in awe as the muscly men scurried up gigantic boulders. Assholes.
Listen, body: I'm getting real fed up. It just isn't fair. Why can't you have great balance and strength and agility? Why can't you trust yourself? Why do you suck?
Grade for the day: F. As in failure.
Til tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment