Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 16: faster

Today was pretty standard.

Up at 7. Ran/walked a mile on the treadmill while blasting sweet beats. Elliptical-ed for a mile.

I am also going for a walk this evening. I have to maximize the potential of this beautiful day, for sure!

I found an article that compares treadmills and ellipticals and found that many of the conclusions I've made on my own are echoed here.


Epic battle ensues:


Main points*:

* the "+" indicates a benefit of the elliptical

the "-" indicates a benefit of the treadmill


+ elliptical is more impact-free = better for the joints

- however, the treadmill is simulated running, so it's better for those who are training to run

- also, the impact from the treadmill helps strengthen bones

+ but can lead to shin splints, whereas the elliptical glides without putting pressure on your joints

+ ellipticals give you a total body workout

- treadmills really work out the lower half of your body

+ elliptical allows you to burn the same amount of calories as the treadmill with seemingly less effort

+/- both offer the opportunity to vary speed, incline and courses

+ the elliptical works out different muscles depending on if you glide from front to back or back to front


Overall, I'd say the elliptical is definitely a better machine. For me, anyway. But I'm still going to train with the treadmill because I AM training to run.


And someday, maybe I'll be daring and venture to take these runs out into the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment