Saturday, January 8, 2011

Rising from the ashes

Hot damn, it's been a long time since I've updated [or exercised...]. Lucky for me, I have surprisingly managed to maintain my weight. I'm currently in Florida and happy to report that the capris which were too large for me at the end of the summer are still too large. I haven't been having very many fat days, either - which is a miracle in itself.

Even though it's January, I'm starting to think ahead to the summer. I don't want to have to start from square one and work my way back up to where I ended last summer. I want to start strong and work myself harder and tack on one more mile wherever I can. And this means that I have to start today. Or yesterday, in this instance.

Zumba

Yes, it's true. I woke up at 9 a.m. to attend a Zumba class at ye old Villages. Needless to say, it was a disaster. I am not coordinated enough, confident enough, or have enough dance moves [read: none] to excel in this "sport." As soon as I was able to catch the beat and coordinate the moves TO the beat, the video had already changed to something else. It was like a game of cat and mouse. I just couldn't keep up.

I left the class feeling disheartened and decided to return to my one true love - my beautiful bicycle.

Bike Ride #1

Mom and I went for a leisurely ride around the village of Virginia Trace. I wish I had remembered to bring my odometer with me so I could monitor my distance, but alas... We checked out houses and stopped in on a burned down shell of house before circling back to ours. The terrain is surprisingly flat here and easy to coast along, so the ride wasn't trying in the least. But it was still enjoyable!

Bike Ride #2

Senor and I decided to ride to Lake Sumter to pick up some desserts after dinner. I can't believe how close our house is to town - it's awesome! I also had the chance to try out my new headlight / taillight set that I received for Christmas. They turned out to be a lifesaver, as many areas - including the golf cart tunnels - aren't well-lit. It was pretty cold outside, but perfect for bike riding. We had a great ride - made greater by the chocolate-coconut cake at the end of it!

Food for thought

A bunch of my friends are starting the diet endorsed by Tim Ferriss, author of The Four Hour Body. This is a slow-carb diet, which cuts out all dairy, all simple carbohydrates, any white foods, and all fruit from your diet. It is supposed to have amazing results, and I admit that I am intrigued by it. However, I realize that this strict of a diet is not realistic for me. I love cheese and carbs far too much for anyone's good, and I really just don't have the motivation to deny myself these delicious food items. However, I am doing a super-modified version of it for myself. In other words, I'm trying to eat less carbs.

Yesterday was a huge fail [cheeseburger, french fries, cake, etc).

Today has started off on a more promising note:

Breakfast/Lunch

- 3 eggs with mushrooms, spinach & one slice of cheese
- 1 one-hundred calorie, fat-free yogurt
- 1 cup of non-dairy dark chocolate almond milk

Let's see how the rest of the day shapes up...

No comments:

Post a Comment