Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 2: Epic shopping adventure

Ok, so it wasn't really epic. I'd say it was closer to a sad, sad day...walking down all of those aisles full of foods that I can't eat. They mocked me. They tempted me. I kept on walking.

This is going to be really hard. Not having a full kitchen severely limits my options because I have to have foods that are already prepared. There are not many prepared foods without bread or breading or pasta or rice of some sort.

I wouldn't be able to do this diet at all if I didn't allow myself dairy & fruit.

Rest in peace, dear bagels, goldfish, sandwiches, chicken nuggets, cookies, french fries, macaroni and cheese, pizza, dr. pepper, etc.

Here's what I DID buy:

- frozen green beans w/ almonds
- brussel sprouts
- cheddar broccoli
- almonds
- dried fruit (bananas, apples, mangos, cranberries)
- sunflower seeds
- light, fat free yogurt
- low fat mozzarella string cheese
- 98% fat free deli turkey
- low fat deli ham
- black beans
- lentil soup
- hot dogs
- tea / coffee / honey (which i'm going to use as a sugar substitute)
- peanut butter
- boiled soy beans (edamame)
- sparkling water (to help me phase out diet pepsi)

I bought all of this stuff at Wal-mart - hence the lack of fresh produce. I am definitely going to add those kind of things into my repertoire, but I'm gonna do it on the University's dime and eat THEIR fresh [shudder] produce, instead. Thanks, free meal plan.

I also got a link to this awesome article about why the the scale lies, courtesy of Jackie Bates.

First weigh in
156.4 lb
Of course, I am menstrual, so that's got to count for something...I hope. In the above article it mentions that women tend to hold on to a lot of water weight in the beginning stages of their period. Go away, water! I do not want my body to retain water like a cactus. I am plenty hydrated, thanks.

Food for thought

Breakfast: handful of honey-roasted almonds, 100 calorie yogurt

Lunch:
3 pieces of deli turkey, 1 serving of dried apples, handful of creme-brulee almonds

Snack: tropical fruit trail mix

Dinner: 1 hot dog, 1 low-fat string cheese, 1 fat free chocolate pudding, 1 cup of green tea

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say that the article you posted on weight gain is awesome. I now understand why the scale fluctuates so much, especially around that time of the month. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who has that problem. I was freaking out the other day when I weighed myself during my period. But as soon as Aunt Flo was gone, I was back to normal. Phew! It's also really important that the author pointed out that muscle weight is a good thing. You don't want to be too skinny and unable to burn the right amount of calories. I'm so proud of you for doing this, Dorky! I know you can do it. xo

    ReplyDelete