Sunday, January 9, 2011

I'm a machine!

Saturday

My father and I went for an extended bike ride across The Villages. On the map, it looked like the ride would take nearly an hour to reach our destination. In practice, it took about 25 minutes to get to the new development. However, there were lots of uphills and the blasting wind wasn't doing us any favors. It was quite the workout for my rusty muscles. I didn't really feel tired from it, but I will admit that there was definitely some sweat building up between my stomach rolls. Hawt.

When we got to Pennecamp, we weaved in and out through the new (and sexy) houses and even got to tour a few that were conveniently left unlocked. Then we decided to take a different route back home, and this one was even faster! We took the golf cart path rather than following the road and it took us only about 15 minutes to get back to Virginia Trace. It was a very enjoyable bike ride and reminded me of what I've been missing.

Food for thought (Saturday):

Snack: 1 pickle, 1 string cheese, 1 can of diet pepsi

Dinner: lightly breaded tilapia, honey-balsamic green beans, brown rice with honey-soy sauce

Dessert: 1 cup of coffee, 1/4 of a slice of Raspberry Napoleon cake, 1/3 of a slice of Chocolate Napoleon cake

Sunday morning

I woke up at the crack of 8 a.m. and had breakfast (one 100 calorie, fat free cherry cobbler yogurt and one cup of green tea with honey) before heading off the gym with Senor. We decided to bike to the Colony Cove Rec center, which is way south of here...at the bottom of the Villages.

It was a disgusting 40 degrees out when we left and the wind was a-whippin! Most of the ride was uphill and with the wind blustering against us, it made the ride pretty difficult in some spots. It was about a 20 minute ride downt to the center and then we worked out in the gym for an hour.

I did: weights, abs, rowing machine, elliptical (for 1.5 mi), and some weird machine called a Nu-trainer or something. It was kind of like a stair-stepper except that you sit while you do it. It sucked. The elliptical I used was very different feeling from any I've ever used before. It glided differently and it felt almost like I was running on air. I definitely got a great workout from it.

It was nice to work out with all the oldies because it made me feel youthful and lithe. I was pounding away the elliptical and this old dude next to me was barely moving, yet sweating buckets and making obscene throat-clearing noises. However, there was this one old broad who kept flipping her legs over her head and gyrating and doing other such stretches. It made me mildly uncomfortable to watch and consider the fact that she must have been a cheerleader or an athlete back in her day.

Conclusion: getting old is terrifying. It doesn't matter what shape you're in in your 20s, you're eventually gonna end up a washed-up old hag with the elasticity of a block of wood and the skin of a rhinoceros. Awesome.

After we worked out in the gym, we hopped back on our two-wheeled steeds and pedalled back to Virginia Trace. The ride was significantly easier than on the way there, though there was still one long stretch of uphill that sucked quite a bit and the wind was just as ferocious as ever. By the time we reached our house, I was ready to be done with that bout of exercise. I hope we can keep this up!

No comments:

Post a Comment