Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 52: Miss Fitness USA


Yesterday, when I was over-zealously pedalling, Retha jokingly referred to me as "Miss Fitness USA." And while I absolutely don't look like I am, today, I felt like I was.

Laura and I got up at 8 a.m. to go for a lovely morning ride. Her bike has been giving her some issues, so after about 3 miles, she decided to turn back. I was just getting started. I felt renewed. Refreshed. Invigorated. Ready to take on the road!

I really don't know where this love of biking has come from. I found myself recycling phrases Kate had used to motivate me when I first began to bike and wanted to off myself. I have come to really believe that biking is so rewarding. And there is nothing nothing nothing like the feel of the wind in your face, lifting your hair off your shoulders, pushing against your momentum as you coast. Sometimes, I just want to close my eyes and open my mouth and drink in the pure joy of it. This would probably result in an accident, so I refrain.

I ended up biking past the airport we had made it to yesterday. I was planning on going forever and a day when I came to a huge (and I mean HUGE) hill. I sat at the top of it for a good five minutes debating whether or not I should try it. A crazy fit biker whooshed past me and took it on, and I watched how he glided up the other side of this nasty canyon with ease. Not fair. I decided to give it a go, and just as I began to descend the steep abyss, a woman came up from the other side, so I stopped and pulled over to give her room.

After that, the nerve was sucked out of me, so I turned around and biked back. This time, I took a fork in the road in a direction I had not yet travelled. I followed this road for a few miles, past the other side of the airport. To my delight, I got to watch 2 planes land! I kept on this road until I got to a crazy interesection with four forks. Not wanting to get lost, I opted to head back to Laura's. I had completed a whopping 10 miles.
When I returned, I mentioned the hill to Laura, and she said it was her summer goal. We vowed to conquer that hill upon my next return. I will return. Not only to visit Laura, but also to conquer that damn thing once and for all!

Fast forward to many hours later and my return to Dartmouth. As soon as I dropped my bags, I was out the door and ready to bike! Silly for me, I had forgotten to change my shoes and was still wearing flip flops. Lame. And probably not too safe, either. This coupled with the looming threat of a rainstorm at my back, I decided to forgo going around the ring and just headed down to the Dell to do some laps. I didn't realize how much I'd actually worked myself out over the past few days, but my muscles were a bit on the tired side as I cruised back and forth.

When I felt a raindrop, I decided to head back to my dorm and retire my bike for the day. Still no rain. But I'm glad I didn't push myself to the point of being over-tired.

Total mileage = 13

No comments:

Post a Comment