Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 37: a revelation

This morning, I started my day off right with apple juice, homemade blueberry muffins (yes, I cook, too!), grapes & a nectarine.

Once breakfast was over, I was absolutely itching to get outside and get my bike on. I left around 2 p.m. and decided to go the opposite way around Ring Road, to catch a different level of terrain. From the library on, you can't tell when driving, but there is a steady incline and, quite frankly, it's a bitch. I can't wait till the day that I am so in shape that I can bike the Ring one hundred times and not have to exert any effort.

Anyway, I have to say that this was the MOST fantastic bike ride I have ever taken. I looped around and snaked through and went up and down and down to the Dell and did laps back and forth and then decided to be adventurous and do a bit of off roading. At first, I was nervous about the rocky terrain, but my mountain bike handled it like a champ. It felt really strange to ride through the grass and dirt and rocks. At one point, I got lost and had no clue where I was, so I turned back around and went up a different path. There was one really steep & especially rocky hill in my way, so I hopped off and walked it up. As I crested the hill, to my delight, I came face to face with a wild turkey! I stood completely still and just watched it and thought "Wow. I love summer. I love biking. I LOVE LIFE." And I don't even like birds. So it must have been the remnants of a biking high.

After that, I did a few more loops around the Dell. Now, earlier in my travelers, I had run into a few friends who riding around on a golf cart pretending to do work. Our paths crossed again in the Dell, where they proceeded to pretend to run into me. Then I caught up with them again during my next loop, and they took the golf cart right into the wooded path I had earlier traversed. Finally, I ran into them again up near the Woodland Commons. Stalkers. But it made me feel proud that I had been biking for as long as they were out. In total, I biked for nearly two hours today and probably went about 7 miles. I am also planning on going to the gym this evening and doing the rowing machine, elliptical and weights.

Oh! And for lunch (because I think food is important in the scheme of healthy things. My number one summer goal is to lose 20 pounds, and I think it is totally doable. I have already lost 5 since summer started, so just 15 more to go!): half of a grilled cheese with tomato, cucumber & tomato slices, a handful of goldfish.

Life is good. So so good. I am going to be sorely disappointed when I have to go back to dorm living and people start living here again.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome (and fun) workout. Don't know how much of a social drinker you are, but when I cut down on the boozing, my freshman 15 (yeah...i've hung onto it all these years) melted off pretty quickly. And eat protein for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After breakfast you were absolutely itching to ride your bike? You left at 2:00 PM? I guess this was not an early breakfast...

    ReplyDelete