Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 39: double ring

This summer, I made a list of goals (as I do pretty much every summer. And the same items pretty much always appear on every list). The two major goals I have for this summer are to a) lose 20 lbs and b) do something active every day.

The doing something active has so far worked out well for me. On average, I've been working out around 75 minutes a day - between going to the gym, going for walks and bike riding. I've been feeling really good and really fit recently, but I still haven't physically seen any results. Granted, I'm now able to zip up some pants that didn't fit me at the end of the school year, but they still don't look good. And I still don't feel good. I really want to start off the next school year feeling super confident and receiving many compliments of "Wow! You look great! Did you lose weight?" (which sometimes may seem like a backhanded compliment, implying that you didn't look good before. In my case, I really didn't look good before, so it's excused).

The point of all this is that yesterday, Kate said "Hmm I think your butt got smaller," which may not sound like a compliment to you, but knowing her bluntness, was damn good to hear on my end. I also went to visit my teachers from DHS whom I worked with last spring. I weighed less last spring, but as soon as I walked through the door, one of them said "Wow, you look really good!" to which I proudly responded that I've been biking a lot. Before we parted ways, she said "Keep biking. You look really good," again.

It felt nice to feel nice. What I'm trying to say is that honest compliments are good enough to keep me motivated, even if I don't personally feel any better about my body.

On to today's work out: I went for a 75 minute bike ride (of course) around Ring Road, first going to the left and then looping back around to the right, completing 2 full rings. Then I trailed down to the Dell and did 4 laps between the two ends. I decided to push myself and do a third ring around the road, but once I got to Lot 14, I realized I was riding super slow and the pain might not be worth the gain, so I headed back home. All in all, I probably did around 6 miles today.

I'm heading home tomorrow with bike in tow. Can't wait to go around the reservoir and hike Mt. Tom!

No comments:

Post a Comment