Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 48: Oh beauteous bicycle!


Alright people. This is for real.


The old bicycle is no longer. I disowned her and she stubbornly (after much annoyance and effort) was returned to the place from whence she came.


I went back to Dick's with Kate and the same guy who had looked at my original bike was working. He was fabulous and very helpful. I tried out a few bikes, but was hooked on my first ride: the Diamondback Serene.
Here's what I like about it:
- super comfortable seat with suspension underneath it
- low step through
- space for a water bottle
- 21 gears
- hybrid mountain bike/road tires
- high handle bars (no need to hunch over! dad, i hope you're super jealous!)
- it's mad cute. It is a light metallic blue with orange and tan circles scattered across it (like freckles)
- it is one bitchin' ride
Here's what I don't like about it:
- the price
But honestly, it's worth it. It felt like a million bucks to ride!
Once we got back to UMD, Kate and I took off for a bike riding mini (for her, anyway) adventure!
We took a left out of UMD and went down Old Westport Rd to Drift Rd, half way up Drift Rd and then back down to Old Westport, a left onto Reed Rd and all the way down that road to a left onto Beeden, which rejoins with Old Westport and back to campus. Total mileage = 10.
Some of the hills were a little rough for me. I tend to slow down when I get to a hard part in the hill, which makes it all the harder for me to pedal my way through it. I start thinking "Okay, this isn't going to work. I should just hop off and walk my bike up." But I pushed through it both times that I had this inner dialogue. My determination coupled with Kate's enthusiastic motivational cheers really forced me through the ride and I conquered those hills!
Later in the evening (around 11 pm) we decided to go for another bike ride. I'm not joking when I say that I love my new bike. It's perfect. I couldn't wait to ride it again. This time, it was raining. But I was really pumped and feeling energetic and couldn't wait to get back on the road! We circled Ring Road twice and went down to the Dell and did a side path. The total ride was around 5 miles. Making the day's total a whopping 15 miles.
I would say that's a success! I'm really looking forward to riding again today! And the next day and the next...
This is what bike riding should feel like.

No comments:

Post a Comment