Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mid week review

So maybe I was a tad over-ambitious when I aimed to maintain the no-simple-carb diet.

Success: have not had any soda since I started this thing two weeks ago.

Monday
B: bagel, large unsweetened iced tea with lemon (fail)
L: small wedge of brie cheese, 2 slices of deli chicken, nectarine (success)
D: spinach salad w/ tomato, mozzarella, lime olive oil, balsamic, basil; three chicken tenders marinated in chipotle baja and baked (success)
Gym: nope (fail)

Tuesday
B: 1/2 cup of oats, pommelo, craisins (success)
L: portabello mushroom sandwich w/ roasted red peppers, avocados; french fries (fail)
D: two eggs scrambled with asparagus, mushroom, zucchini, bleu cheese; pear (success)
Gym: 8 miles between bike/run/elliptical (success)

Wednesday
B: 1/2 cup of oats, nectarine, craisins; orange tea (success)
L: spinach salad w/ tomato, mozzarella, pear, lime olive oil, balsamic (success)
D: going to make pasta-free eggplant parm w/ extra veggies (zucchini/squash)
Gym: going!

I'm not impressed with myself but I'm also not going to beat myself for having a few indulgences. I think my overall food choices thus far have been more health conscious and deliberate. I am still taking the time to plan menus in advance and use all of my groceries (in fact, I haven't been grocery shopping since last Monday!). I still feel good about (most) of my decisions (curse you, delicious french fries!) and my commitment to IML.

Some super foods I've discovered in this process:


Pears!
Why have I not been using these in my day to day cooking til now?

In the last two weeks, I have eaten them pureed inside of chicken, diced on a salad, as a snack, and in my oatmeal. And they are delicious. And apparently, super good for you!
- they are high in fiber, potassium, and vitamin c
- they are helpful in a weight reduction diet because they contain half as many calories as fat
- they are dense in nutrients and provide more nutrients per calorie than calorie per nutrient

I am definitely going to keep using them as a staple in my diet. I like how versatile they are. They are flavorful enough to taste good on their own and also bland enough to taste good mixed with other strong flavors (like balsamic).

A quick Food Network search yielded over 600 recipes...time to get cooking! http://www.foodnetwork.com/topics/pear/index.html



Gorgonzola!
I've always loved cheese. Cheese is my weakness. I consider it a separate food group from dairy, that's how important it is. And in this process, I have learned just how important cheese is to keeping me full and satisfied.

I have eaten it in omelettes, in salad, stuffed in chicken, as a side dish, and grated over entrees. The three staple cheeses I used this week were: brie, parmesan, bleu cheese.

Now I know listed Gorgonzola here, and let me explain: I am switching to Gorgonzola. They both have pretty similar tastes and are both delicious. I was actually quite curious about the difference between them, and stumbled upon a comparative chart, which advised that although Gorgonzola has slightly higher fat and carbs, it has lower sodium and NO saturated fat. Bleu cheese, on the other hand, has 5.3 grams of sat fat. Yeah. I'm done with you, bleu!

And again, the recipe options are endless. Food Network yielded almost 800 recipes. Yummm.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=bleu+cheese&fnSearchType=site




No comments:

Post a Comment