Wednesday, March 27, 2013

IML Update: Going South!

The dust is finally starting to settle after a crazy week! I feel like I can somewhat resume my normal schedule after getting off track for a bit.

I have abandoned the no simple carb diet in favor of a diet enriched with such delicious things as pasta and pizza and crackers. I just like them too much to want to exclude them from my diet. It was a fun experiment and I certainly learned a thing or two about my eating habits and some alternate recipes I can use to be healthier. I am still relying on a bunch of the staple items I was using while on the diet, including oats, veggies, salads, and lentils.

I know I seesaw back and forth a lot with these diets. I think it's because I want to prove myself that I have self control and that I can do it. I can do it. I just don't want to. And if I don't want to, the whole thing is moot. I don't have enough motivation to feel like I need to deprive myself of certain foods. I am really happy with my current weight (lowest it's been in probably 5 years!) and have lost a total of 11 pounds in the last year and a half. I am happy with my exercise routine (most of the time) and with the way I feel (more skinny days than fat days recently!). So there you have it.

Now, on to the updates...

1) Reduce stress: Everything is falling into place! I am more financially stable now than I have ever been in my life, which is crazy and amazing. I found out I got the job in North Carolina, have a place to live and a roommate for a fraction of what I'd be paying if I moved out on my own, have a start date of June 3 (which gives me ample time to plan so.many.weekend.getaways and make sure I see all of my friends before I ditch New England for sunnier weather), and am ready to clean slate it and find myself a nice southern gentleman! I feel the least stressed I have felt in a long time. I am excited and a bit nervous about starting over, but more hopeful than anything else. Additionally, I caught up on a LOT of sleep over the weekend, which I'm pretty happy about. I <3 bed.="" p="">
2) Maintain exercise goal of 3x/wk: I did not achieve this last week. I went to the gym one time and went for one hike. Oh well!

3) Make more conscious food choices: My diet wasn't spectacular last week but it wasn't terrible either. Also, after a few hard-core alcoholic weekends, I've decided to take a step back from drinking for a while. It's not good for me and it doesn't make me feel good. I'm sure my liver will delight in this decision.

4) Enjoy my hobbies: I am on a roll with the reading thing! I've read a book and a half in the last week, and am reading during my breaks and before I go to bed. It's nice to have something to look forward to. Margaret Atwood, I've missed you so! (and, on a related note -- puppy names!!!! If I get a boy I am naming him Atwood and I get a girl, Nala.) I've also been cooking on a consistent basis, which is fun. And shopping. There is always shopping.

5) Keep my close friends close: I've made some really good friends at work and feel like I am just reaching the perfect level of closeness with them, so I'm sad I'll be leaving them behind. I also started a Monday night dinner club with friends from work, which is both yummy and fun! Love it.

I am so excited that my weekends are booking up like crazy with people I love to partake in activities I love. I'm seeing Jenna, Becca, and Kate this weekend and next weekend I'm getting my first ever tattoo with my cousin and having a fun weekend with Natalia! I've made a list of things I want to do before I leave New England and I am trying to incorporate as many of my friends as possible, knowing that I have such limited time with them. Here are a few items on the list:

- Hike/bike all of my favorite trails in CT
- Visit Dartmouth for a weekend and hit up my favorite restaurants, bike the back roads, kayak, and beach it up with some school friends
- Visit Northampton/West Side and bike the rail trail, walk the Reservoir, spend a day @ B&N/the mall, eat at my favorite restaurants
- Visit Cape Cod and bike the canal, walk on the beaches, go to Mashpee commons

6) Do what I can for my health: I've learned I need to do everything in moderation. Bingeing and purging certain parts of my life are not healthy. I need to be more consistent with my routines and my diets (I've been having some digestive issues lately, and think they may be due to my extreme and frequent diet changes.). I am on track for a good week this week and looking forward to all that's coming!

Ciao for now,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment