Friday, April 30, 2010

Day 11: make it

At approximately 12:30 this morning, I went for an approximately 1.5 mi walk with my legal immigrant around Ring Road. The wind from the last two days had finally died down, so it was brisk, yet pleasant.

At 8:30 this morning, I met my faithful gym buddy to begin the second day of my Couch to 5k plan work out schedule.

Today's soundtrack: Afro Celt Soundsystem. Nothing like an electric violin / bagpipes / African chanting to get you in the mood.
Today's visual: A rousing episode of Fresh Prince

Prior to walking for 5 minutes and then alternately jogging for 60 seconds / walking for 90 seconds in a 20 minute time period, I tried out the preventive shin splint stretches. I also did a few other stretches to ward off cramps. Fingers crossed.

Annnd it was a pretty succesful workout! The Couch to 5k program is working pretty well for me, though I may double up and do two weeks per session instead of the 1 week designations the site has. The reason for this is that although I am no longer winded, I'm not sure if my muscles are built up enough yet to take things to the next level. The 60 second time periods of running made my calves burn and my shins ache a little bit. So in this case, I think slow and steady will definitely win the race. Or at least get me to the point where I'll be able to actually participate in the race.

Following my 20 minute run exercise, I did one mile on the elliptical (which I have decided is a hybrid between running & riding a bike). From there, more stretches.

11 days in and I think I'm really getting in the swing of things.

'Til tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment