Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 7: Cool Running

Despite having stayed up until 2 a.m. to finish season five of Weeds, I was still able to drag myself from sleep and make it to the gym for 8 a.m.

I started off the day on a positive note - able to run a half mile with relative ease. Soon after that small victory, I was struck with a few issues:

1) My sneakers kind of suck. I have $20 Spaulding sneakers and they aren't very supportive. They've been bothering me for the last 2 days or so, and today they were pretty bad. I think I may have to invest in some better ones with cushioned soles. Any recommendations??

2) Potential shin splintage. Last summer, which was the first time I ever got into running, I began to develop shin splints and had to back off from it. I know that the treadmill isn't great for your joints, so I'm hoping that I'll really enjoy trail running at Lloyd's and remedy this problem.

3) Dehydration. One of my biggest problems is that I get really dehydrated when I'm running. I get tired, sure, but my muscles are less of an issue than my extreme thirst. And it's pretty hard to drink from a metal water bottle when you're running. I always end up knocking my teeth against the metal. This does not feel nice. I'm definitely looking forward to receiving my Klean Kanteen. And I might look into Quench Gum.

4) Side cramps. Sneaky bastards. As soon as I was done with my half mile, I got a moderate cramp in my right side. I worked through it and then ended up going on the elliptical, at which point I got a cramp in the lower right part of my abdomen. What causes them? I hadn't eaten yet today, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I turned on a tv in better view today and it really was helpful. I mean, why wouldn't you want to focus on Saved By the Bell? Let's be for real. It definitely kept my attention (for the most part) off of the mileage.

The thing that really motivated me? Knowing at the end of the rainbow would be a delicious omelette for breakfast. Aww yeah.

ALSO, just found a sick website called "Cool Running." They have a fitness plan for "Couch to 5k" - which is pretty much what I'm doing. I checked out their work out schedule and I might give it a go!

2 comments:

  1. Your shoe issue and your shin splints may be related. There are several causes for shin splints and each of them have different solutions but the number one thing to do is stop if it hurts. Running though pain is not inherently a bad thing but if corrective action is not taken it could bench you for a while. If the shin splints are caused by muscle inflammation try ice, if its from flat feet or lack of arch support new shoes are in order. As far as staying hydrated, gum will help dry mouth but you should definitely up your water intake. if you have trouble drinking while running, try doing wind sprints. Speed up for a short distance, slow down, have a drink and repeat. The intervals are also a good cardiovascular workout. Hands over your head and slow your pace if you have chest cramps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I did some research into shin splints today and am also getting new sneakers today, which should help I hope.

    Thanks for all the fitness advice, though! I heard from the IHOPians that you are very resourceful when it comes to this kind of thing :)

    ReplyDelete