Friday, April 23, 2010

Day 4: take it easy

Much advice about giving my body a rest coupled with the extreme stiffness/achyness I experienced yesterday prompted me to opt for a more low-impact workout for today.
Last night, I ended up going for an approximately 5 mile walk around midnight.

I didn't get to sleep til after 4 a.m. this morning due to some interesting college antics (not my own). Needless to say, I was SO not feeling going to the gym at 8 a.m.

This evening, I plan on doing a double walk around Ring Road (4 miles) just for the sake of keeping my regimen steady. On Saturday, I am going to do a bit of hiking and on Sunday, I shall return to my normal treadmill routine.

Here are a few things that I have purchased that I am pretty excited to receive:

1) A Klean Kanteen 27 oz. poly sport cap bottle. I currently own an Old Navy metal waterbottle with a loop cap, and while it's pretty cute, I'm finding the loop cap to be irritating. I have to stop whatever I'm doing in order to actually take the cap off, then I have to hold onto it while I drink and then finally screw it back on. Not worth the effort. The sport cap is much like a traditional pop top on a plastic bottle.

2) Keen Wear-Around Mary Jane shoes. These shoes are like a hybrid between sneakers and flats, which is perfect for everyday use. I ordered them in all black, though I was totally tempted to go purple. I think they will definitely end up being my favorite shoes because they are both functional and attractive. While I won't be using them for running, knowing that I can walk any distance in them is a strong selling point for me, as I don't really have any shoes that fit this bill.

3) A pedometer. This will be really useful once I start training outdoors (which I plan to do as soon as I can legitimately run at least one mile on the treadmill. I'm not willing to embarass myself in public yet). These bad boys count how many Kms & Miles you traverse and also how many calories you burn while doing so. This is definitely a novelty item, but I think it's fun. I plan on wearing it whenever I go for a walk and especially when I start street-training for the 5k.
---
PS: Bad news on the 5 k - it looks as though I may not be able to participate in this particular one (despite having already spent $20 to register), as I am going to have to assist with move-in on campus. Never fear, I shall find a new race to run! Maybe even one that is a bit earlier in the season. Maybe more miles, maybe less. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment