Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 3: not so good but not so bad

I was up at 7 a.m. ready to get my run on - which is an accomplishment in itself.

My body had other ideas for me, though.

Last night, I was really really sore. But I felt better this morning. Until I stepped on the treadmill.

I decided to try a few new things today:
1) Run at a slower pace. The first day, I was running at a speed of 7.0, which made me breathless pretty quickly. The second day, I ran at a speed of 6.0, which was more manageable. Today, I ran at 5.2, and while I didn't run out of breath at all, my calf muscles were screaming.

2) Turn on a tv. The MR gym is full of televisions, but I'd been relying solely on Benny Benassi to keep me motivated. With nothing to focus my eyes on, they ended up latching onto the odometer. I decided to try to watch the screen instead (though I was still blasting techno into my skull). However, the one I turned on was at an awkward angle from my treadmill, so it didn't really work out.

3) Bring a friend! Olivia, a fellow crafter, is joining me in my quest for fitness. She ran circles around me.

I was only able to do a total of 1.2 mi on the treadmill before my muscles told me they'd had enough. I wasn't going to push it, because I realize that going from 0 miles a day to 5 miles a day is a pretty astronomical leap. I vowed to myself that I would do AT LEAST 3.2 a day (to keep it consistent with the 5 k), and so today, I ended up doing the bare minimum, finishing the final 2 miles on the elliptical.

Also, last night I decided to start reading the KISS guide to weight loss. The book told me that I was overweight. I was pretty miffed but also think it might be good motivation. I don't want to be overweight. I don't feel overweight. And I most definitely don't want to look overweight.

So, although today did not meet any of my goals or expectations, I don't think it was a total loss. I still did a 5k, which is enough to satisfy me for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment