Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day 1: 47.02

I'm taking this challenge head on.

I am going to over-train so that when I finally meet the challenge, I will be over prepared and it will be easy.

I had a really active weekend, full of bike riding and hiking. I felt good. My spirits were the highest they've been in a long time.

Upon returning to campus yesterday, I decided it was time to tackle the miles.

I ran .3 miles before I was completely breathless. Balls. This is going to be harder than I thought.

I alternately walked and ran (mostly walked) 3.2 miles.

Revelation: chewing gum that has been in your mouth for 4 hours does not keep you hydrated. At all.

As I struggled through the miles, gasping for air like the lame sack of flesh I've become, my eyes focused on construction paper signs someone so lovingly crafted with motivational inspiration: "You can do it!" "Push yourself!" "One more mile!"

More like 2.9 more miles. Not that I'm counting. Not that I'm watching them tick by in slow motion or anything.


Revelation: Motivational posters are not motivational when you want to rip them off the wall.


I become bitter. Stupid stupid out of shape body. Why can't you just be naturally athletic? I know people who can run the Boston Marathon without training. And I have to actually work myself up to 3.2 miles? How is this fair?

It isn't.

Following my torturous run (I finish the 3.2 miles in 47 minutes and 2 seconds), I cap off the session with a 1.8 mile trek on ye old elliptical. Ye old loving, wonderful elliptical that glides my legs so easily and makes that 1.8 miles slip by like butter and ease.

Perhaps I can elliptical my way down the road for 3.2 miles? I could do that without training for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment