Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The challenge

So here's the plan: one brassy Russian constantly encourages me to push myself to be better. She thought it would be a great idea for me to set a work out goal for myself. I concurred. Then she said "Okay, let's sign up for a 5 k." We did.

And now begins the training.

I know you're thinking: why do you need to train for a 5 k? It's only 3.2 miles. [most] Anyone can run that without trying.

Well, I most def can't.

Let me give you some backstory on my athletic history.

Backstory
Cue my childhood memories of tap, ballet, gymnastics, soccer and softball for 9 years.
Once I realized I was miserable at all of the above, I settled comfortably into playing piano, singing and creative writing - all of which are solitary activities and all of which require NO physical effort whatsoever.

Cue college, ripe with new experiences, all you can eat buffets for every meal and a lack of motivation.

Sophomore year, I went to the gym every day and was probably the thinnest and most fit I have ever been in my life. These days, I look upon those ancient photos and find myself being jealous of my own body. How does that work?

Since college started, I've been an exercise binger. I will get in the groove and go to the gym every day and then one day I won't feel like it and the whole thing snowballs until I am again out of shape.

Since sophomore year, I have gained nearly 30 pounds. Disgusting, I know.

Last summer, my boyfriend at the time was hiking the Appalachian Trail, which was great motivation for me to go to the gym every day, eat healthily and occassionally get cracked out and go on 3 am bike rides to God-knows-where.

By the end of the summer, I felt pretty good. Until my muscles went into hibernation, nestled cozily under a bed of the fat that now clings to my bod. No good, body, no good.

Cue the challenge.
Hail the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment