Thursday, July 21, 2011

Weight-ing

I didn't let my [rather disappointing] weigh-in get to me yesterday. I continued about my day as usual, spending minutes upon minutes viewing photos in the MFP "success stories" and the reddit r/loseit section. I'm not sure why I'm so obsessed with viewing before and after pics of people who've lost a lot of weight. It certainly IS inspiring. Perhaps I'm hoping to have my own inspiring before and afters some day.

Anyway, during my forum scouring, I happened across a post that someone had made who instructed women not to trust the scale. There were a ton of people who had done the P90X challenge and the 30 day shred who came out looking AMAZING and totally transformed, but who had only lost 1 to 10 pounds. Weight isn't everything. There is certainly something to be said for fitness and feelings and measurements.

After I got out of work, I had my lovely roommate measure me. The first time she measured me was on June 27, so it's been nearly a month.

Here were the [rather pleasing] results!

June 27

38" - bust
32" - waist
36" - abdomen (navel)
45" - hips

July 20

37.5" - bust
31" - waist
34.5" - abdomen (navel)
44" - hips

Not bad, right?

After that, I headed to the gym and did 30 minutes on the bike and 30 minutes on the elliptical and then went for a 2 mile walk around Ring Road. While at the gym, I read a captioned episode of Oprah to keep my eyes off the clock. Ironically enough, the episode was about weight loss and looking 20 years younger. She, also, informed me that the scale is not to be trusted. There are so many variables with weight and we shouldn't let ourselves get down when we don't see the numbers change. The non-scale victories are just as -if not more- important. And if Oprah says it, it has to be true, obvs.

Later, I got a call from the bike shop and they said my bike was ready to pick up! I had dropped it off last Thursday, so it was a happy reunion after having gone so many days without it!

While there, I found a great tread and the guy said he could install them on my bike for $12 each. Now, my bike is supposedly a hybrid, but the tread is thick and chunky and closely resembles that on a mountain bike. I'd heard from several bike enthusiasts that changing the tire would give me a smoother, easier ride because there would be less resistance against the pavement if I had less knobby tires. I expected that it would cost about $60-$100 to get new tires, so I've been putting it off, but knowing that I can get them for $24 makes it absolutely worth it. Now I just have to wait for them to get the tires in!

After struggling yet again to stuff my bike into the car, I realized that it's definitely about time I got my hands on a bike rack, as well. It's just not worth the frustration. Time to do some research!

To celebrate a successful day, I obviously had to stuff my face with Coldstone Creamery's "Cheesecake fantasy"(cheesecake ice cream, graham crackers, strawberries, blueberries). Just our luck, it was free waffle cone day! Suffice it to say, today was the first day in nearly a month that I've gone over my calorie allotment. :/ Oh well, tomorrow is a new day.

PS: Has anyone tried Jillian's "30 Day Shred"? I am seriously considering ordering it. It's only $7 and all of the before and after pics I've seen of people who did it looked fantastic!

3 comments:

  1. Yup, throw that scale away. Or..only weigh yourself once every two weeks or so. Muscle weighs a lot, haha. But the more muscle you pack on your body, the more revved up your metabolism will be and the more fat you'll burn. I don't know how much strength training you do (will have to sit down and peruse your blog), but do it! You'll feel great, strong, and it will help kick your metabolism into a higher gear. :-)
    -Nicole Cannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the 30 day shred. I did it for a week or so. It is a good thing to do if you can't get to the gym, but i hate doing rapid exercising like that and didn't care for it too much. But if you you don't mind getting in a full workout in 20 minutes, it isn't bad. you will need a set of hand weights and a yoga mat if you plan to do it on hard floors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that is good to know...I was wondering if any props were required. I must steal those from my mom! Now I just need to find a 30 days stretch for me to do the shred in. Looks like it won't be any time soon. Did you see any results when you did it? Would you consider doing it again?

    ReplyDelete