Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 84: 10 at 10

I wasn't really planning on doing anything super active today, since I was out until 8:30 pm. Around 10, I got the sudden urge to go for a nice little spin around Ring Road. This ended up turning into a little 10 mile spin.

There is definitely something to be said for biking alone. While I love biking with friends because it makes the miles go by faster and it feels more like fun than exercise (which invariably makes the bicycling easier), on nights like tonight, I wouldn't want to be with anyone. It's a fantastic way to unwind. There is something so empowering and calming about the spin of your tires on the pavement, the wind lifting the hair off your neck, the nighttime mist mixing with your sweat, the knowledge that you are in motion motion motion because of your own body, your own strength.

I am going to be so sad when I can't go for nighttime bike rides anymore. I clipped on my iPod and put it on shuffle this evening. I was not disappointed. Phil Collins, David Guetta, Iron & Wine, Imogen Heap, Guster...some of my favorite artists circulated through the speakers and kept me surprised and motivated. Great song after great song that I might not have chosen to play at that moment greeted me and invigorated me. I didn't want the ride to end. I felt like I could have ridden forever, minus my sore ass. Not sore in the sense that my muscles were sore (they actually felt pretty alright this evening - I didn't have much trouble in any of the usual spots around campus), but sore in the sense that the seat was irritating me.

All in all, a cleansing and satisfying bike ride this evening. I better take advantage of them now while the only cars I pass are the police and the only people I pass are the lone pedestrians, circling the Ring in search of a clearer mind, themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment