Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 83: Pardon the InterruPTIon

Today, I was pretty pumped to be heading to the gym with no other plans for the afternoon.

Then, I got a call saying that I would need to be around because someone was going to move in to the building at some point. Right. So since the gym is about 100 feet away from my room, I just took my phone with me to the gym. I never realized what a pain it is to carry one extra thing around with you when you work out. I normally just have my ipod (clipped to my pants) and my water bottle. Having this one thing made it much more awkward.

Anyway, I was about half-way through my weight routine when a guy who works at the gym came over and told me he wanted to show me how to use the machines properly. Awesome. I mean, I just read the diagrams and looked at the pictures and hoped for the best before working the weights. And apparently, the diagrams and pictures suck, because I wasn't using anything correctly.

After he showed me proper procedure, I went about my business and finished up the weights and headed to the treadmill. I had determined that I would run an entire mile today. I'm pretty confident that I can do it. There's no reason not to. Or at least, no reason not to try.

So I walk .5 miles and am in the groove of running. I decide not to look down at the odometer-thing because a watched pot never boils. Instead, I focused intently on the tv screen across from me. Some financial show was on. And then a banner flashed across the screen "Pardon the InterruPTIon" and it was the show PTI. I started thinking about what other words they could have used that have "p" "t" and "i" in a row and then realized that not only is it clever in that sense, but "pardon the interruption" also has the initials pti. Once I reached this revelation, I was thinking that I had reached the half mile point when the same gym guy came up to try to have a conversation with me about how he is the only staff member for the rest of the week, so the gym is going to be closed at 3. I couldn't understand what he was saying because a) I was running and b) I had my headphones on, so I ended up slowing down to talk to him. And once I lost the momentum, I couldn't get it going again, so I polished off 1 mile on the treadmill and ditched it for the elliptical.

I did the obligatory 1 mile on the elliptical and the whole time, I was just itching to get out of the gym. I wanted to go for a bike ride.

I couldn't figure out how to carry my cell phone on me whilst riding, so I left it at home and prayed that the person who was supposed to move in would wait the half hour for me to finish biking. Every time I biked past a car, I cringed and peered into the car, looking for someone with a bunch of stuff. Nothing. I was just about to start my second round on Ring Road, when my boss drove by and gave me a look of "What gives?" aka - why was I biking around and not in my apartment? I was terrified at that point that the girl had come to check in and I hadn't been there, so I bolted back to my room. Annnnnnd I didn't have any missed calls and the girl hadn't tried to move in. And now, 5 hours later, she still hasn't moved in. All that guilt for nothing!

So in the end, pretty much all of my exercise today was interrupted. Though I guess I am to blame for all of it! And to make matters worse, now my entire gym WEEK is going to be interrupted, because I don't get out of work until 3, and that is when the gym will be closing. I suppose this is a good excuse for me to get back on ye old bicycle and pedal away.

No comments:

Post a Comment