Monday, July 19, 2010

Food for Thought: Ie, - I haven't exercised in 3 days

I had a fairly sedentary weekend, thanks to my little friend laziness.

Don't worry, people! I haven't fallen off the wagon, completely. I fully intend on going to the gym as soon as I get out of work and busting my ass with a ton of cardio.

But in the meantime, I have started researching some biking websites, running websites, and, my most intriguing find of the day: Healthy Choices: The 101 Best Things to Do For Your Body Now! - an article that was run in Women's Health Magazine.

I read the whole article and found a lot of really interesting things. For instance, that cooking in a cast iron skillet adds iron to your food.

There was also a section called "Eat these foods. Every. Single. Day."

Here's the list:

- Broccoli sprouts
- Canola and vegetable oil
- Low fat milk and cheese
- Fermented foods like sauerkraut, miso and yogurt
- Cinnamon
- Orange juice
- Nuts
- Tea (particularly green tea)
- Hot chocolate (unsweetened)
- Berries

It also had a list of foods to avoid. Unfortunately, most of them are delicious. And it's really hard to know what exactly IS in everything you eat. Or actually keep track of the things you are eating.

Things to avoid:

- Processed and refined carbs (how do you know which carbs actually fall under this category?)
- Hot dogs, bologna and sausage (but they're all so good!... and I'm guessing kielbasa should also be on this list. Sad day.)
- Artificial sweeteners (so anything diet, pretty much, since those ALL use artificial...everything)
- "Fortified" junk food (any form of "sugar" should not be listed as one of the top 3 ingredients in your snacks)
- Booze

I'd actually never been on the Women's Health Magazine website before, but I've grown pretty fond of it in the last hour. So fond, in fact, that I signed up for a free newsletter, How to Look Better Naked. I'll keep you posted on the info I learn from that. Hopefully, it will be useful. Or at least interesting.

Half of the battle of maintaining a healthy lifestyle is learning to define a healthy lifestyle. What does "being healthy" really mean? What is your personal definition of health?

No comments:

Post a Comment