Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 74:one more mile

I made it my personal mission to make the most of my gym session today.

I began with the usual weights. I've noticed that I am able to do more repetitions with less effort, which I'm guessing is a good thing. For arms, I do anywhere between 10 and 30 lbs per machine. I'm still trying to master this one freestanding machine in which you put all of your weight on your arms and curl your knees in. It works the ab muscles and arms. But my arms shake so badly when I do it, that I can only ever do about five curls at a time. Maybe some day.
When I finished weights, I did 1 mile on the upright bicycle. I did a 4 minute mile, which impressed me, if no one else. Then I did 1000 m on the rowing machine. Then I did 1 mile on the stationary bike. Then I did 1 mile on the treadmill, alternating walking for .1 mile and running for .1 mile. [I think I am going to do this for the rest of the week and then next week, move up to .2 miles and so on. This may help me train. At this point, I can't even run half a mile without my legs hurting, so I figure baby steps will help strengthen me. Hopefully.] After the treadmill, I did 1 mile on the elliptical, alternating in the same cycle as I always do - .1 mi frontward with arms, .1 mi frontward w/out arms, .1 mi backward with arms, .1 mi backward w/out arms, repeat until mile is complete.
Normally, I would be done after the elliptical, but today, I decided to extend my regimen. I went back to the upright bicycle and bolted out one more mile. Then I grabbed a fifteen pound weight and did a few repetitions of holding it behind my head and pulling it up. Then I let my arm dangle with the weight and did side crunches, 10 on each side, 2 x.
I left the gym feeling pretty darn good about myself. I'm actually really enjoying the gym now. I only have one month left of my sweet summer set up, so I definitely have to make the most of the empty facilities before the students come swarming back and upset my exercise groove.
***
Food for thought
Breakfast: one 100 calorie yoplait yogurt
Lunch: two cups dirty rice, one cup watermelon/onion/tomato salad with balsamic-lemon dressing
Dinner: (I'm pretty proud of this) Chicken breast hand-battered in egg and breadcrumbs, cooked in olive oil in a spinach salad with tomatoes, red onions, scallions, parsley and candied pecans, tossed in a raspberry-hazlenut vinaigrette.1 slice of herb focaccia bread. 2 mini chocolate chip cookies.
After dinner: two beers (1 Guinness and 1 Shipyard Summer Ale). One cup of Cajun Trail mix.
Conclusion: I could've done without the after dinner stuffs. But my dinner was damn good and I can't wait to eat some of the leftovers for lunch today.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I don't think you're eating enough for the amount of excercising you're doing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. is that true? or am i not exercising enough for the amount of eating i'm doing? hahaha

    ReplyDelete