Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 70: Power

I had big ambitions of going to the gym today and getting my weight-train / cardio on. About an hour before I got out of work, the power went out across the campus. I didn't think much of it and went home to try to accomplish some things - then realized how morbidly dependent I am on electricity. Then I realized that not only could I not plug in my phone, turn on the tv, cook etc, I also couldn't go to the gym - as all of the machines require power. Womp womp.

With literally nothing to do, I decided that I would just take my bike out. As I wheeled it out of my apartment, I realized that there most likely would not be power in the elevator, either - which would mean that I would have to carry my bike down the 3 flights of stairs. Not pleasant. Luckily, the elevator must have been on a backup generator, so I was able to get out of the building just fine!

I had determined to venture off campus for the 2nd time by myself. I got to the top of campus and then made a snap judgment to just kept going around the ring. As soon as I made it to the freshmen dorms, I realized that I had made a mistake and should have just gone off campus. I don't know why I didn't.

I ended up doing a double ring and going down to the Dell twice. I had a pretty easy time of it and was sufficiently sweaty by the end of my trek and was happy to discover that the power had returned by the time I was done. Now if only I could amp up my own power!

Tonight, I have no plans, so I believe I am going to go for a jog on the track. We'll see how that goes. Probably not well. But here's to hoping.

Tomorrow, I shall [hopefully] make it to the gym for a more well-rounded and challenging workout!

[Edit] 11:43 p.m.
In the last hour, I have successfully "jogged" (a combination of running spurts and walking...much like the couch to 5 k plan) 2 miles and then biked 4 miles. It was muggy and cool and I felt empowered. Granted, I'm still a terrible runner and I get out of breath quickly and my calves hurt. But I did it anyway. And I sweated my skin off. And now I am showered and I feel oh-so-refreshed. If I can make this a trend, I'll literally be able to melt off the rest of my 20 lbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment