Monday, October 11, 2010

Lesson #1: Nature is cruel.

The thing about riding a bike is that the first mile is a bitch. Especially if you haven't ridden in a while. Example) Me.

It takes that mile to warm up your muscles. As I pedaled off campus, I thought "Holy hell, I hope the entire thing doesn't feel like this."

I went down Old Westport and up Chase.

The thing about riding a bike is that the second mile starts to make you feel invincible. Your body feels more fluid, you start to relax, you think I've got this in the bag. I could go on forever.

What you didn't realize is that the second mile was on flat terrain. You are coasting. You are feeling good.

I turned onto Lucy Little.

Well, invincibility, popped! There's a tiny hill, one that hasn't tripped you up in ages. You shift from 7th down to 4th gear and you are still out of breath.

And another thing, it's bloody hot. This is October. You looked out the window and you thought 50 degrees, here I come! Instead, it's like 75 and the sun is beating down on you. The wind is catching your inner ears and giving you a headache and your face aches from being scrunched against the glare of the sun.

I go down Lucy Little.

I start feeling invincible again. The smooth coast, the shady copse, the quiet houses.

I turned onto Old Westport Road.

The thing about bike riding is that what doesn't kill you makes you want to die.

I shift from seventh gear to second to conquer the final stretch - that accursed hill leading up to UMD. I am literally crawling up that damn thing. But I made it. (I was convinced this ride might end with some walking).

I felt heated. My face was red and my throat was raw. But there was victory as I mounted the final crest and circled the ring back to PD.

Total mileage: 7.4 mi

Not bad.

Food for thought:

Breakfast: 100 calorie yogurt, 1 cup goldfish

Lunch: 1 reduced fat string cheese, 1 whole dill pickle

Dinner: 2 cups of red beans & rice with sausage, 1/2 cup peas, 1 cup 2% milk, 1/2 cup of chocolate mousse

There are a few things I could have done without. All of lunch. The mousse, for sure. But it's 8 p.m. at the moment and I don't plan on eating for the rest of the evening, so I'd say I'm still in good shape. I'm at least keeping up (somewhat) with the parameters I have set for myself.

Good news: Heard from my long lost gym buddy today, and as of this week, we are back in action! Go team!

No comments:

Post a Comment