Monday, February 25, 2013

IML Update

Weekly Improve My Life update!

1) Reduce Stress: I have been apartment and puppy hunting like crazy. More apartment hunting than puppy hunting, but puppy hunting is much less stressful than apartment hunting. I probably spent over 20 hours last week searching website after website and contacting tons of landlords/complexes for details. You would be surprised how hard it is to find a (nice) 2bed (that accepts dogs) for under $1100 in this area. Curses, Connecticut. Seriously, I looked at one complex in North Carolina and it had every.single.thing I want (which includes in-house w/d, pool, fitness center, somewhat modern kitchen, ample storage space, outdoor space) and more for over $200 under my budget. Bullocks! Safe to say, I've been a bit stressed due to all of this. I've also made a list of everything I'll need to buy when I move...and that gigantic list isn't helping me fend off the $$$$ fears, either!



Puppy teaser: (How much do I want one of these squishy little sweetness monsters?! SO MUCH!!!)



2) Maintain Exercise goal of 3x/wk: I had a really crappy gym week. I did go three times and did a total of 18 miles, but I didn't feel good about it. I had a terrible time running and I just didn't feel incredibly motivated. Toward the end of the week I was feeling very bogged down with plans and with apartment hunting and just rolled into slacker-ville. But at least I met the minimum requirement.

3) Make more conscious food choices: I was pretty good about not snacking at work, mostly because I was  busy all week. I've been really good at food shopping recently, coming in at exactly $50/wk and making one large meal that will last me for all of my lunches for the week. I've also been really good about planning in advance and using up all of my groceries before the week's end. Last Monday I made a spinach salad with tomatoes, mozzarella, tuscan herb olive oil, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. It was nice to have a somewhat healthy lunch everyday. Dinner, on the other hand.... That and being away this weekend led to some bad food choices. There's always next (this) week.

4) Enjoy my hobbies: In between my ravenous apartment hunting I did manage to practice the piano 1x and catch up on some of my favorite shows. I've also been spending a lot of time poking around online for various household items I know I'll need once I move, and shopping happens to be one of my most favorite hobbies.

5) Keep my close friends close: I nailed this one this week. I had long phone conversations with a bunch of people and caught up with some close friends in Boston! I also went to a concert and had some lovely dinners with some lovely friends. ++++ on this one!

6) Do what I can for my health: I am shocked to report that I have been flossing approx 4x/wk. I hate dental care (aside from tooth-brushing) and find it annoying, especially when all I want to do is get in bed. But on the nights that I have been home, I have been forcing myself to take those extra steps to floss and waterpik and use gross mouthwash to improve my mouth health. I also managed to have pretty consistent sleeping patterns for the week, which is always helpful.
I'm hoping this week will be more productive than last week. I definitely have room to improve in almost all categories.

I am looking forward to all of the craziness of moving and settling and getting a little furry friend and finding a better routine for myself to Improve My Life overall, and recognize that the next few months are going to be challenging while I work toward that more stable future. But I am excited to move out and up and take on whatever happens next.

Ciao for now,
Megan

1 comment: