Friday, February 1, 2013

What a difference a year makes

It's been almost a year since I last posted in this blog. I've transitioned over to this Daily Mile account -- mostly because I like how it logs my mileage and gives me different stats for the week/month/year and lets me view my friend's mileage, as well.

I didn't realize how many people actually read this blog until I stopped writing in it and people kept telling me that they missed it. I had assumed that it would get really boring to read about my daily workouts, but thanks to those of you who have supported me for so long :) Perhaps I shall make a weekly update in this blog from now on, just to recap my week's highs and lows. We shall see.

So what's happened in the last year?

When I first moved to CT I was the heaviest I have ever been, weighing in at 162. I felt about as good as I looked.

Being mostly friendless, I launched into a strict workout routine and went to the gym almost every day after work, for lack of better things to do. Eventually, boy/friends ended up complicating this schedule and I started to slack off more and more.

In the spring/summer, I fell back in love with bike riding and upgraded to a sweet new ride and was doing around 40 miles/wk. I also got really into hiking and started doing a few hikes a week.

Inevitably, winter reared her ugly head. The bike rides and hikes became less frequent and my Planet Fitness card was literally collecting dust.

A trip to Florida in December rekindled my love for the bike and I rode over 100 miles in my time there. I felt good, better than I had in a while.

Upon my return, I reunited with Planet Fitness and was horrified to feel - for the first time in my life - belly jiggle. WHAT, self?! Have you really let yourself get this bad? The string of endless dining out and lack of exercise haunted me and I resolved then and there to make good on some resolutions I am constantly making and never quite following through on.

For the past month I have been working out between 4 and 6 times a week. I am training for a 5k and for the first time in my life, I can actually run a mile without stopping (shin splints be damned!). I have been alternating cardio and weights and even spending some time outside in the frigidity for a taste of fresh air and mountain slopes.

And I feel good. Really good. I haven't tailored my eating habits, really, but sticking to this gym schedule has helped me really really cut back on going out to eat. Right before this life change, I was going out around 4x a week or more. I've now scaled back to once during the week and once during the weekend. Additionally, I have been able to save more money than I ever have before. Having this after-work routine prevents me from going shopping/going out to eat/travelling to visit friends. And while I still love all of those things, I've realized that they are best done in moderation. My wallet and my body are both thanking me.

Since moving here, I've lost a grand total of 9lbs, with much fluctuation. As of right now, I'm at a solid 155lbs, which is 15lbs away from my goal, but still a weight that I am happy with. Although I wish I would lose more weight, I have not edited my diet at all, so I can't really expect miracles. But I have started noticing that the shape of my body is changing, and I am so thrilled to see my hard work is paying off.


1 comment:

  1. So proud of you, girl! And so happy to see you back :)

    ReplyDelete