Monday, August 19, 2013

IML Update - Halfway thru August

The first half of this month has been crazy-busy! I feel like I've had things to do every single day..though I'm not complaining.
My calendar - first half of the month is pretty full!
 
Of course, good intentions are often lost in the day to day scuffle. The start of every week inevitably leads to the start of new weekly resolutions.

For instance, this week I am trying to detox a bit before heading to Asheville for a mountain-cabin-spa-hiking weekend getaway here: http://www.thewaynesvilleinn.com/

In the last week, I spent way too much money on going out for coffee, so I'm trying NOT to go out for coffee at all this week. Additionally, I went out to eat on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday...and will be going out while away this weekend. Trying to eat low carb and healthy from Monday thru Friday. And finally, last week was NOT my best workout week. I am resolving to be better this week!

Now on to the good stuff!

1) Do what needs to be done: Getting my NC license plates is still hanging over my head, but I am not looking forward to having to use some of my FTO to make it happen, so I'm still procrastinating.

I DID, however, start a budget, and have redistributed my paycheck to ensure that I am saving more and spending smarter. I would like to be able to save an additionaly $10k by next June, which seems daunting but is also do-able.

I have two more doctor's appointments to attend to and then I should be in the clear for a while!

2) Maintain exercise goal of 3x/wk: I SERIOUSLY killed it in the start of August. I was working out every day at least once a day and several times I worked out both in the morning and before dinner. Last week was a bit lackluster -- I had 4 workouts, but definitely phoned it in.

I discovered a new bike trail system about 20 minutes from my house. And while the route is only about 6 miles on its own, we found some fun neighborhoods to ride through and are going to explore the area some more this coming Wednesday. http://www.carolinathreadtrailmap.org/trails

I've also ordered 6 new workout videos in the last month and am trying to slog my way through them so I can pick and choose my favorites and know which ones I have time to do when.

3) Make conscious food choices: This one is always a struggle. I know I have been going out to eat a lot this month, what with parents visiting and birthdays etc. The times that I do cook at home, I'd like to think that the meals I make are relatively healthy. I've been cooking pretty low carb and high veggie/protein. Even the desserts I'm making are health-conscious (like this berry crumble -- which is basically just berries, cabernet, brown sugar, oatmeal, and almonds)

The beginnings of a straw/blue/black berry crumble.
 
I definitely consumed WAY too much coffee for the good of anyone. I'm not one of those people who needs coffee to function. I don't crave it every day. I don't wake up with a headache if I don't drink it. I just plain and simple like the taste.Therein lies the problem, friends. The reason I like the taste of most coffee is because of the unhealthy crap that is loaded into it. My go to drink is a Grande Hazlenut iced from Starbucks with one pump of classic syrup (which is basically just liquid sugar, since I think normal sugar is too grainy) and cream. I also like taking a break and getting out of the office. Or just having something to sip on while I work. But, it's expensive, it's not good for me, and I don't need it. So I shall bid it adieu (at least for this week!).

4) Enjoy my hobbies: This month has been amazing. I got some new ink:


The royal suits :)
 
 I went for bike rides, to museums, went kayaking, visited with friends (and family!), went shopping, cooked, worked out, did some crafting, ate at some super fabulous restaurants, worked on some duets, spent QT with my boy and with my puppy, and just genuinely have had an enjoyable month so far!


Monsterface
The Bechtler Museum


Myself & my parents in NoDa
5) Keep my close friends again: Have been doing a somewhat okay job with this one. I've been trying to reach out to as many people as I can to make this happen, via text at the very least. Of course, GChat continues to be a god-send. There are some people who I can feel slipping away a bit and need to kick my communication w/ them back into high gear! But in general, I am quite satisfied with my current social life!

6) Do what I can for my health: I'm trying and will keep on trucking. Every day is a winding road.

No comments:

Post a Comment