Thursday, April 4, 2013

Gear

Happy to report that the scale still reads 150, despite a weekend full of burgers, french fries, ice cream, and sangria. Maybe the 8 miles I walked between Saturday and Sunday have something to do with it? Or the fact that my diet has more or less settled since then? Regardless of cause, I am SO happy with my progress.

Yesterday, I tried on my shorts from last summer and all of the 12s I had bought were too big. I even slid right in to 2 pairs of size 10s that I could barely button less than a year ago. Score.

Everything is starting to fit differently and better. I am starting to see real definition in my arms (is that a muscle in there?!) and legs and I just feel strong, in general. I hope I never stop feeling this way.

In the spirit of excitement, I want to share a few discoveries/purchases with you that I'm either enjoying or intending to enjoy on this never-ending fitness journey.

Weirdest thing, first.
a)  The Scunci No-Slip-Grip "Super Bandz"
I bought these on a whim at Stop&Shop the other day because they tout themselves as being able to self-adjust to your hair in just one loop. I personally think they look like Lifesavers and was somewhat skeptical of their ability to hold my unruly mane in place. Ummmm what?! They are amazing. They look kind of weird, like a realllly thick rubber band, but HOLY CRAP they work SO well! I ran my little heart out and my hair was flopping around and it didn't even slide down a centimeter. I am excited to keep them in my car, purse, and gym bag for future use because I think they are going to be my new best friends. And the best thing is that they don't rip your hair out when you take them out.

b) Sony MDR - AS20J - Active Style headphones w/ soft loop hangers
My favesies headphones. Just bought my second pair. They loop around your ear and sit comfortably in your ear canal. They don't move around when you're running. And they have an awesome clip that attaches to your clothing so the wire isn't flopping around like a jerk. I would be lost without them!

c) Apple iPod Shuffle
I
I strongly believe that workout music can make/break a workout. I used to tote around my giant iPod touch, which I would holster onto my pants (and which would sometimes drag them down). Then I graduated to mounting my giant Android on an arm band and strapping it to my arm. These days, I am clipping this small glorious creature to my tank strap and going. It has 2GB, which is the perfect size to accommodate a hand-selected electronic music playlist I have aptly entitled "Workout Mix." I love how portable this guy is. I love all of the songs on it. I love how simple it is to skip songs and adjust volume while running. And I love how it weighs absolutely nothing and does not get in my way whatsoever.

d) Asics Gel Neo 33


Okay, these are not yet in my possession...I just ordered them last night. But they have AMAZING reviews. And I read an article about how gel shoes may help reduce impact, thus reducing shin splints -- which is one train I'm ready to jump on. I also have to admit that I am a fan of the obnoxious colored gym-wear people are sporting these days. These aren't too outlandish, but I think they're a step in that direction. I am excited to give them a go and shall report back once I have something to report.

--

My one gripe of the week is that it is April and I had to wear my winter jacket today. What gives, Mother Nature?! This is b.s. Good thing I'm moving South...
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment